Monday, July 9, 2012

Olive Oil Bread


I have a love hate relationship with yeast and we both know it. That a single celled fungi can wreak so much emotional havoc on me is something I am not proud of. It is not that my trysts with the yeast has always been a failure.There has been quite a few success but the hesitation around it is a major dampener. However the intimidation factor is slowly and steadily bidding goodbye as I am learning to handle the nature's gift with a magical touch.

Sample this chunky looking loaf from Nancy's hearth (@ SPICIE FOODIE); the bake was amazing and the loaf sprung back on touch and the slices tasted delicious. They were devoured as such, it tasted that wonderful. Saved a few slices for my daughter who went all buttery with the bread.

The fuss-free recipe with the easily available ingredients had my hearth buzzing with a breezy aromatic flavor. I used fresh yeast for the same which was a pleasure to work with. By nature, the fresh yeast is potent for maximum 2 to 3 weeks and hence needs to be refrigerated. To use for baking, bring it to a room temperature a good 30 -45 minutes in advance. Also crumble the same before mixing it with flour for even distribution.


What's in it :- (Prep Time/Raising Time :1 hr ; Baking Time : 35 mins)
  • All purpose flour - 240 grams (+ extra flour up to 2 -3 tbsp for kneading)
  • Salt - 1 tsp (approx 5 grams)
  • Honey - 1 tbsp (approx 20 grams) / Sugar- approx 10 to 15 grams
  • Warm water - 175 ml
  • Fresh Yeast - 10 grams (approx)
  • Extra virgin olive oil - 4 tbsp (approx 55 grams + extra to brush bowl and bread)


Here's How :-

In a mixing bowl tip in flour,honey, water,salt and olive oil. Add crushed fresh yeast to the mix and stir to combine a bit. Bring all the ingredients together and start kneading. You will need to add a little bit of flour (extra, if required) at a time to form an elastic dough that does not stick to your hands. Continue kneading until a smooth dough is formed. It may take around  10-12 minutes.

Cover with a wet cloth and leave to rise in a warm place. The dough needs to double in size. Since I used fresh yeast the rising happened in 20-25 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190 C /375 F. Grease the bread tin/mould and set aside.

Once doubled, remove the risen dough from the bowl, and gently knock back so that all the trapped air escapes. Gently knead into desired shape and place inside bread mould. Leave to rise till it doubles in size .

Place bread in center of oven and bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.

E.N.J.O.Y
Linking it to Radhika's I love Baking #6 and her Let's Cook # Breads

16 comments:

  1. The bread looks absolutely great. I think the yeast is beginning to love you now! I have always wanted to work with fresh yeast but we don't get it where we live and since its expires really quickly, buying in bulk and storing always scares me that it will spoil and go to waste. Instead I used the dry kinds. I love baking bread at home and my husband loves it when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow bread came out absolutely prefect and super spongy, well done Priya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and soft texture of the bread..perfectly baked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. it has come out soo well, soft and luscious.... I usualy add some herbs too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never work with fresh yeast and your beautifully risen loaf certainly inspires me

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. just look at the color and the texture. I'm drooling here Priya. You get fresh yeast in ur place. Lucky you. I would really like to get my hands on them but :(
    And do link it to the event themed breads in my space.
    http://ticklingpalates.blogspot.com/2012/07/announcing-lets-cook-17-breads.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bread looks amazing Priya! It was a delight to read about your hate turned love relationship with yeast! I wish you many wonderful encounters with it henceforth :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sooperaaa irukku!! that texture is just wow!! I'm making this. olive got over & seeing the price, mum refused to buy! :D Should make do with normal oil! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a perfect loaf of bread... I haven't seen fresh yeast before, good you put up a picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home made Bread Rocks. Great job dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely soft bread..would love to try this sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  12. your bread's texture is looking so good and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful texture on the bread. It is gorgeous. I love baking breads.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    Shop The Leaf

    ReplyDelete